Total Pageviews

Friday 16 March 2012

45 mins with J.P. Morgan

As a finance major, I often come across article with data base on research from J.P. Morgan. It gave me an impression of they are a firm that do a lot of research and very influential in this business.
Also, people who works with them are elites and proud of who they work for.

Beg my pardon, I had no idea what they are doing before this. An investment bank? Consultant? Not a single clue.
*feeling guilty for not knowing what they do even though I'm aware that they're in this business for more than 200 years*

I didn't know there's an evening talk in campus from J.P. Morgan at Innes Room until an hour before it started. I was having coffee with my friend Liza and she mentioned that to me and invited me to go with her. I felt the chill in my back when I arrived. Everyone was in office wear and they looked so professional. Suddenly I filled with guilt for not knowing what they actually do. Like frog in the well.
We're given a stack of empty cards to fill in our names & contact details for networking purpose and an information booklet with this line "Our success depends on our people." Well said as human resources is the most important asset in a company.

Reading through the booklet I learned that they have different division - Investment Banking, Sales & Trading, Research, IB Risk, Private Banking, Treasury & Securities Services, Operations, Technology, lastly, Finance. I carefully read through the short introduction of every division and see where I'm interested with.

Before it started, a tall, suited-up man walked towards us and naturally we formed a circle. Slowly, this circle grew bigger as there're more people joined in. From the conversation, questions were asked and answered accordingly. He also shared his working experience and how we should be to fit in this competitive environment.

Not long after that, a smart and young woman got our attention. If I'm not wrong, she works in the HR department. That moment, I realized how packed the room was as there were just few of us when we arrived.
After a short introduction of the purpose of gathering everyone around, she introduced the Vice President of the Investment Bank division to give us a short speech. This is the guy that we've talked to. No wonder he seemed confident with what he was talking.


One professional from each division stood in designated corner to interact with us after the short speech.
We just have to gather around at the corner of the division that we're interested in and get to know more about that.
I asked a question that I've been wondering all the time.
"How did you start a research or studies? What drives you to do it? Clients or it is just to fulfill your curiosity?" My question was clearly answered. Turned out they did their research independently. They even build up their own model base on real life evidence and work on it. It sounded so interesting and cool!
I'm truly amazed by what they are doing.

I can't help but to observe everyone in the room. Some people were well-prepared as they were talking business and they want know these professionals' view on certain issue, some attended to know more about J.P Morgan, some were just there to see if there's any recruitment and some took it seriously like an interview or opportunity to get into this successful firm. Some dare to raise up issues and some just stood aside and listen to the conversation.

This session turned out to be very informative, fresh and exciting.
I'm very happy and satisfied with everything that I've received.

Instead of giving a talk and feed us all the information they want us to know, they provided a platform to interact with us so that we get what we want to know.

I'm motivated and inspired. Hope one day I can be one of them and able to contribute on these meaningful research.

"We are doing first class business in a first class way.
No doubt they are.


Here's a song that started my day.


No comments:

Post a Comment